1/30 Blog

THE STEAM AGE 

On a steam locomotive, there was a lot more than just steam and whistles. There were many different models and some had different power and purposes. However all of the locomotives ran on steam, and where did the steam come from? Coal. There were two engineers in the front. One would do the controls like speed and brakes, then one who would constantly feed coal to the fire and hot water. The big cylinder on the front keeps the heat and pressure so it can power the magnetic force pulling and pushing the pistons. Then the small tubes located by the wheels were called the cylinders, they were used to release extra steam to prevent the train from overheating if the funnel wasn’t enough. The whistle had a tube that went up, different trains had different shapes for a different sound. And some of the faster trains were mostly the transport, like the LNR A4. However the LNR A4 wasn’t like any other locomotive, it had a weird rectangular shape on the front, but it could go up to 100 mph. Then the trains for shipping were like trucks back then. Even though most of the amazing locomotives back then were replaced with the normal trains you see today, there are still some that are still in use for transport or shipping. 

Brody   

3 thoughts on “1/30 Blog

1. Dear Brody,

I think your blog post was very well composed. Where did you learn so much about locomotors? I learned a lot about steam engines from your post such as the LNR A4 wasn’t like any other locomotive, it had a weird rectangular shape on the front, but it could go up to 100 mph, and the small tubes located by the wheels were called the cylinders, they were used to release extra steam to prevent the train from overheating if the funnel wasn’t enough. Overall your blog was great but I only caught one error. In a sentence, you said,” Even though most of the amazing locomotives back then were replaced with the normal trains you see today, there are still some that are still in use for transport or shipping.” I think you meant to say transportation, not transport.

Sincerely, Ellie

2. I read this blog and I thoght that it was really informational. Vary good👏👏👏👏 I give a applause to you. what was the first train? who is the most famous train conductor?

–Annabella

3. Dear Annabella, the first steam loco was the Stephensons rocket. It was not fast even though the name makes us think that. I went up to 20 mph and had a 15 ft tall funnel. the driver’s had to sit outside and it was rather small. it ran on a fuel called coke which is a type of rock. The pistons were slanted up backwards and the wheels on the front were bigger. the loco did not have a bell. it was made of wood and was rather small. if you want to see what it looks like then search the name. I do not however know who the most famous conductor was though. sincerely, Brody